What is a CT Scan of Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ)?
CT Scan (also known as CAT scan) of the Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) is a painless radiology exam which may be performed to examine the cause of jaw pain in a non-invasive manner. It aids doctors in detecting inflammatory conditions, tumors, and evaluating other abnormalities in the in the jaw.
Who should get this test?
CT Scan of the Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) is usually ordered by doctors if you have these indications:
- Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome
- Jaw injury
- Pain or tenderness of your jaw
- Pain in one or both of the temporomandibular joints
- Aching pain in and around your ear
- Difficulty chewing or pain while chewing
- Aching facial pain
- Locking of the joint, making it difficult to open or close your mouth
Is there radiation involved?
Yes. CT Scan is an imaging test which involves a small amount of radiation to show pictures of the organs, tissues, and bones of the body.
When will I receive my results?
Once completed, you will receive your results within 3-5 business days in your LabFinder portal.
How do I prepare? Do I need to fast?
Please refer to the simple preparation guidelines or consult with your doctor or radiology center where you are being treated. Do not forget to bring your LabFinder Order and Insurance Card to your appointment.
- Book and manage your personal health records
- Feel organized — keep your results in one place
- Save money — avoid surprise medical bills
How it Works
- Select your test & location
- Visit your appointment
- Access and share your test results any time