What is Luteinizing hormone (LH) Test?
LH is important for ovulation in women. The LH level surges when the follicle is ready and causes release of the egg and transforms the remaining follicle into the corpus luteum to produce progesterone. The LH level is consistently high during menopause. In males, LH works in conjunction with FSH to produce testosterone. LH is useful in assessing the onset of menopause and, in conjunction with the FSH, ascertaining the hormonal profile during ovulation.
Who should get a Luteinizing hormone test?
Trouble getting pregnant occurs when ovulation is irregular (oligoovulation) or absent (anovulation). There a number of reasons either could occur and the ovulation blood test panel can be a helpful initial screening test to confirm that FSH and LH blood levels are normal before pursuing additional evaluation. Follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) and Luteinizing hormone (LH) tests may be ordered when:
- A woman is having difficulty getting pregnant or has irregular or an absence of menstrual periods
- When it is suspected that a women has entered menopause and her menstrual cycle has stopped or become irregular
- When a man’s partner cannot get pregnant, when he has a low testosterone level, or when he has low muscle mass or decreased sex drive, for example.
- When a health practitioner suspects that a pituitary disorder is present; a pituitary disorder can affect the production of several different hormones so there may be signs and symptoms in addition to infertility that can include fatigue, weakness, unexplained weight loss, and decreased appetite to name a few.
When will I receive my results?
Once completed, you will receive your results within 3-5 business days in your LabFinder portal.
How do I prepare? Do I need to fast?
No preparation or fasting required. Just bring your LabFinder Order and Insurance Card to your appointment.
- Book and manage your personal health records
- Feel organized — keep your results in one place
- Save money — avoid surprise medical bills
How it Works
- Select your test & location
- Visit your appointment
- Access and share your test results any time