What is a TMJ MRI?
A Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) MRI is a painless radiology exam which may be performed to help visualize the jaw area in a non-invasive manner. It aids doctors in visualizing tumors, infection, inflammation, and any jaw disorders that a patient might have.
Who should get a TMJ MRI?
A TMJ MRI is usually ordered by doctors if you have these indications:
- facial pain that worsens when the jaw is used
- joint and muscle tenderness
- limited range of motion
- jaw alignment issues
- clicking or popping sounds with opening or closing of the jaw
- ringing in the ears
- jaw locking
Is there radiation involved?
No. An MRI is a painless radiology technique that has the advantages of avoiding radiation exposure.
When will I receive my results?
Once completed, you will receive your results within 3-5 business days in your LabFinder portal.
How do I prepare? Do I need to fast?
Please refer to the simple preparation guidelines or consult with your doctor or radiology center where you are being treated. Do not forget to bring your LabFinder Order and Insurance Card to your appointment.
- Book and manage your personal health records
- Feel organized — keep your results in one place
- Save money — avoid surprise medical bills
How it Works
- Select your test & location
- Visit your appointment
- Access and share your test results any time