What is a TMJ MRI?
A Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) MRI is a painless radiology exam which may be performed to help visualize the jaw area in a non-invasive manner. It aids doctors in visualizing tumors, infection, inflammation, and any jaw disorders that a patient might have.
Who should get a TMJ MRI?
A TMJ MRI is usually ordered by doctors if you have these indications:
- facial pain that worsens when the jaw is used
- joint and muscle tenderness
- limited range of motion
- jaw alignment issues
- clicking or popping sounds with opening or closing of the jaw
- ringing in the ears
- jaw locking
Is there radiation involved?
No. An MRI is a painless radiology technique that has the advantages of avoiding radiation exposure.
When will I receive my results?
Once completed, you will receive your results within 3-5 business days in your LabFinder portal.
How do I prepare? Do I need to fast?
- Book and manage your personal health records
- Feel organized — keep your results in one place
- Save money — avoid surprise medical bills
How it Works
- Select your test & location
- Visit your appointment
- Access and share your test results any time