What is a Prolactin Level test?
Prolactin is a hormone produced by the pituitary gland and its primary role is to help initiate and maintain breast milk production in pregnant and nursing women. A prolactin test measures the levels of prolactin in the body.
Who should get a Prolactin test?
This test may be ordered by your provider if:
- You are a woman experiencing abnormal nipple discharge not associated with breastfeeding
- You are a man experiencing low sex drive or have infertility problems
- You have unexplained headaches and visual impairment
- You have symptoms of a non-cancerous tumor in the pituitary gland known as prolactinoma which produces a lot of prolactin
When will I receive my results?
Once completed, you will receive your results within 3-5 business days in your LabFinder portal.
How do I prepare? Do I need to fast?
No preparation or fasting required. Just bring your LabFinder Order and Insurance Card to your appointment.
How it Works
- Select your test & location
- Visit your appointment
- Access your results