What is a Sodium level test?
Sodium (Na+) blood test checks for how much sodium is in your body. Sodium is an electrolyte in our body that is essential to life. It is important to the distribution of water in the body, osmotic pressure, neuromuscular function, acid-base balance, and electrolyte balance. Severe imbalance lead to permanent neurological deficits.
Decreased Sodium Level:
- Nasogastric suction
- Presence of diuretics in the blood
- Congestive heart failure
Increased Sodium Level:
- Excessive dietary or IV intake
- Cushing’s Syndrome
- Diabetes insipidus
- Excessive sweating
Who should get this test?
A blood test to check sodium levels is done to:
- Check the water and electrolyte balance of the body.
- Find the cause of symptoms from low or high levels of sodium.
- Check the progress of diseases of the kidneys or adrenal glands.
When will I receive my results?
Once completed, you will receive your results within 3-5 business days in your LabFinder portal.
How do I prepare? Do I need to fast?
No preparation or fasting required. Just bring your LabFinder Order and Insurance Card to your appointment.
How it Works
- Select your test & location
- Visit your appointment
- Access your results