What is an MRI scan?
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) is a painless and safe radiology scan. It uses radio waves and a strong magnetic field to create detailed images of your organs, tissues, and other structures inside the body. An MRI scan can be helpful in examining any part of the body including:
- Spinal cord and brain
- Joints and bones
- Internal organs such as the womb, liver, or prostate gland
- Blood and heart vessels
The results from the scan can help your doctor in diagnosing various types of illnesses, injuries, and use that to plan your treatment accordingly. The MRI scan also helps your doctor understand the effectiveness of any previous treatments that you might have received.
Why is an MRI scan performed?
An MRI scan will be performed to detect any of the following conditions:
- Abnormalities with the spinal cord or brain
- Abnormalities or injury in the knee or back
- Abnormalities in the uterus (for women being treated with infertility)
- Tumors or cysts
- Heart problems
- Liver diseases
The MRI scan highlights contrasts in the tissues and organs, making it easier for doctors to diagnose conditions related to abnormalities in the cartilage, tendons, and ligaments.
What are the types of MRI scans?
- MRI: Abdomen, Hip, or Pelvis
- MRI: Head or Neck
- MRI: Back (Spine)
- MRI: Breast
- MRI: Upper Extremity (Arm or Hand)
- MRI: Lower Extremity (Leg or Foot)
- Other MRI Scans
How do I prepare?
Before an MRI test, you can stick to your regular diet and take your regular medications unless you are instructed otherwise. Please refer to the following simple preparation guidelines or consult your doctor or the radiology center where you are being treated. Follow your doctor’s instructions and ask any questions that you have before the procedure. Do not forget to bring your LabFinder Order and Insurance Card to your appointment.
Is an MRI scan safe?
Yes. An MRI scan is a safe, easy, and painless procedure. There are no health risks involved with this test as there is no radiation involved. This procedure can be repeated without any side effects.
- Book and manage your personal health records
- Feel organized — keep your results in one place
- Save money — avoid surprise medical bills
How it Works
- Select your test & location
- Visit your appointment
- Access and share your test results any time