What is a SGOT (AST) test?
An SGOT (AST) blood test measures an enzyme called SGOT or AST, which is found in red blood cells, liver cells, and muscle cells, including the heart. It is released into the blood when these cells are damaged.
Who should get an SGOT test?
This test may be ordered to:
- To check for liver damage
- To help identify liver disease, especially hepatitis and cirrhosis
- To check on the success of treatment for liver disease
- To keep track of medicines that can affect the liver
- If you consume alcohol excessively
When will I receive my results?
Once completed, you will receive your results within 3-5 business days in your LabFinder portal.
How do I prepare? Do I need to fast?
No preparation or fasting required. Just bring your LabFinder Order and Insurance Card to your appointment.