What is a Hepatitis Panel?
Hepatitis blood test is used to help diagnose acute liver infection and inflammation that is due to one of the three most common hepatitis viruses:
- Hepatitis A Virus causes an acute inflammation of the liver (hepatitis) that almost always gets better on its own. It can be more serious if we are older when we have the disease. It is easily spread from person to person, in food and water, and can infect many people at once (example: if a food handler at a restaurant is infected, many who ate the food can be infected).
- Hepatitis B Virus can be both acute (short-term illness) and chronic (ongoing illness) and is spread through blood or other body fluids in various ways. Hepatitis B is very common in Asia and Africa and those who were born or lived in these areas should be checked for hepatitis B.
- Hepatitis C Virus is almost always chronic and spreads only by blood. Hepatitis A and B can be prevented by vaccination, but not hepatitis C. There are now many good medications available to treat chronic hepatitis B and C.
Why a Hepatitis Panel important?
Viral Hepatitis Panel may done as part of a Well Visit check up that shows abnormal results on liver tests or when someone has symptoms associated with liver injury as:
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain
- Dark urine and/or pale colored stool
- Yellow discoloration of skin (Jaundice)
If you’ve had a Hepatitis panel drawn and the Hepatitis B Surface Antibody (HBsAB or anti-HBs) is positive, it means you are IMMUNE to the virus due to previous Hepatitis B vaccination.
When will I receive my results?
Once completed, you will receive your results within 3-5 business days in your LabFinder portal.
How do I prepare? Do I need to fast?
No preparation or fasting required. Just bring your LabFinder Order and Insurance Card to your appointment.
- Book and manage your personal health records
- Feel organized — keep your results in one place
- Save money — avoid surprise medical bills
How it Works
- Select your test & location
- Visit your appointment
- Access and share your test results any time