What is an Alpha Fetoprotein (AFP Tumor Marker) Test?
AFP is a type of protein that is produced by the liver in a fetus (developing baby). Liver damage and some forms of cancers can cause the AFP levels to increase significantly. This is a blood test that measures the amount of AFT in the blood.
Who should get this test?
Your healthcare provider might order this test to check if the baby has problems with their neural tube (this tube becomes the brain and spinal cord once the baby is fully developed).
When will I receive my results?
Once completed, you will receive your results within 3-5 business days in your LabFinder portal.
How do I prepare? Do I need to fast?
No preparation or fasting required. Just bring your LabFinder Order and Insurance Card to your appointment.
- Book and manage your personal health records
- Feel organized — keep your results in one place
- Save money — avoid surprise medical bills
How it Works
- Select your test & location
- Visit your appointment
- Access and share your test results any time