What is a Comprehensive Metabolic Panel?
No doubt you’ve heard the word metabolism, but to truly understand what your metabolism is, the concept of “calories in, calories out” doesn’t even begin to cover it. While your metabolism is the process of converting calories to energy needed to fuel body processes, it also heavily influences your energy levels, weight, body composition, and even mood.
Even when you’re at rest, your body needs energy for functions such as breathing, circulating blood, and repairing cells. The number of calories your body uses for these basic functions is known as your basal metabolic rate.
Several factors determine your basal metabolic rate, including:
1. Your body size and composition – If you weigh more or have more muscle mass, you will burn more calories, even at rest
2. Gender – If you’re a man, you probably have less body fat and more muscle mass than does a woman of the same age, so you burn more calories
3. Age – As you get older, your muscle mass decreases, which slows down the rate at which you burn calories
Most people get a Complete Metabolic Panel as part of their yearly check-up. This test can give your healthcare provider valuable information about the current overall status of your metabolism, including the health of your kidneys and liver, as well as electrolyte balance, acid/base balance, and levels of blood glucose and blood proteins.
What is included in this test?
- BMP which consist of:
- A/G Ratio
- Total Bilirubin
- Total Protein
- Alkaline Phosphate
Who should get this test?
Your doctor may order a Complete Metabolic Panel if you are concerned about the following:
- Your metabolism speed
- Your energy levels
- You are experiencing significant weight loss or gain
When will I receive my results?
Once completed, you will receive your results within 3-5 business days in your LabFinder portal.
How do I prepare? Do I need to fast?
No preparation or fasting required. Just bring your LabFinder Order and Insurance Card to your appointment.
How it Works
- Select your test & location
- Visit your appointment
- Access your results