What is a Folic Acid test?
Folic Acid blood test measures folic acid (vitamin B9) or folate levels in either the blood plasma or in the red blood cells. It is used to identify a folate deficiency, which could indicate other conditions such as malabsorptive disorders or malnutrition.
Who should get a Folic Acid Test?
Testing is primarily ordered when a person has symptoms that may be due to a B vitamin deficiency. Signs and symptoms depend on the vitamins that are deficient. Some of the common ones include:
- Rash, dermatitis, lethargy, grey hair
- Inflamed tongue, sores on the lips or in the mouth, cracks at the corners of the mouth
- Numbness, tingling or burning in the hands or feet
- Fatigue, insomnia, anemia
- Irritability, difficulty with memory, depression
When will I receive my results?
Once completed, you will receive your results within 3-5 business days in your LabFinder portal.
How do I prepare? Do I need to fast?
No preparation or fasting required. Just bring your LabFinder Order and Insurance Card to your appointment.
How it Works
- Select your test & location
- Visit your appointment
- Access your results