What is a Mercury Level test?
Mercury Level blood test checks for the amount of mercury in the blood. Mercury occurs naturally in the environment and is also released into the environment through human activity.
Mercury occurs in several forms:
- Elemental mercury is a silvery, odorless liquid that evaporates slowly at room temperature, becoming a vapor.
- Inorganic mercury combined with other chemical elements such as chloride, sulfur or oxygen.
- Organic mercury is mercury combined with carbon-containing compounds. A common form of organic mercury is methyl mercury which is produced by microorganisms in water and soil, and which accumulates in fish.
Who should get this test?
High mercury level is extremely toxic and poisonous to the body. Acute exposure to mercury may cause the following side effects:
- Cause impaired senses and decreased balance
- Cause hallucinations, delirium, and suicidal tendencies
- Cause violent muscular spasms
When will I receive my results?
Once completed, you will receive your results within 3-5 business days in your LabFinder portal.
How do I prepare? Do I need to fast?
No preparation or fasting required. Just bring your LabFinder Order and Insurance Card to your appointment.