What Is a Methylmalonic Acid Test?
Vitamin B-12 is needed for the body. This vitamin helps to preserve neurological function, maintain red blood cell production, and aid in normal DNA synthesis. In people with normal levels who have clinical symptoms of vitamin B-12 deficiency, additional testing may be needed. Specifically, the methylmalonic acid test can be used.
Who should get a Methylmalonic Acid test
Your doctor may order the Methylmalonic Acid Test if the result of your vitamin B-12 and blood test is abnormal and you have also symptoms of vitamin B-12 deficiency. Symptoms of B-12 deficiency include:
- Cognitive impairment
- Gait abnormalities (abnormal walking, usually measured during a standard neurologic examination)
- Jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes, often seen in people with liver disease)
- Peripheral neuropathy (nerve damage or malfunctioning nerves)
When will I receive my results?
Once completed, you will receive your results within 3-5 business days in your LabFinder portal.
How do I prepare? Do I need to fast?
No preparation or fasting required. Just bring your LabFinder Order and Insurance Card to your appointment.
- Book and manage your personal health records
- Feel organized — keep your results in one place
- Save money — avoid surprise medical bills
How it Works
- Select your test & location
- Visit your appointment
- Access and share your test results any time