What is Ovulation Blood Test?
The ovulation test panel measures follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH) which are important for ovulation . Ovulation is triggered by two major sex hormones – follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH). During ovulation, many women experience changes in the basal body temperature, heightened libido, improved smell and changes in the mucus around the cervix. In a woman, ovulation is the process by which her ovaries release eggs during the menstrual cycle. The event of ovulation occurs after the follicular phase of the cycle, during which follicles in the ovaries mature to prepare for release of an egg.
Who should get a Ovulation Blood Test?
Trouble getting pregnant occurs when ovulation is irregular (oligoovulation) or absent (anovulation). There a number of reasons either could occur and the ovulation blood test panel can be a helpful initial screening test to confirm that FSH and LH blood levels are normal before pursuing additional evaluation. Follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) and Luteinizing hormone (LH) tests may be ordered when:
- A woman is having difficulty getting pregnant or has irregular or an absence of menstrual periods
- When it is suspected that a women has entered menopause and her menstrual cycle has stopped or become irregular
- When a man’s partner cannot get pregnant, when he has a low testosterone level, or when he has low muscle mass or decreased sex drive, for example.
- When a health practitioner suspects that a pituitary disorder is present; a pituitary disorder can affect the production of several different hormones so there may be signs and symptoms in addition to infertility that can include fatigue, weakness, unexplained weight loss, and decreased appetite to name a few.
When will I receive my results?
Once completed, you will receive your results within 3-5 business days in your LabFinder portal.
How do I prepare? Do I need to fast?
No preparation or fasting required. Just bring your LabFinder Order and Insurance Card to your appointment.
How it Works
- Select your test & location
- Visit your appointment
- Access your results