What is a QuantiFERON TB Blood Test?
Tuberculosis Test also known as the QuantiFERON-TB test is a simple blood test that aids in the detection of tuberculosis, the bacteria which causes tuberculosis (TB). Tuberculosis is an infectious disease that often infects the lungs as well as other parts of the body. Some people who have been infected with tuberculosis have active symptoms (i.e. “active” tuberculosis) such as coughing, weight loss and night sweats and can readily infect other people with their droplets.
QuantiFERON-TB test is a modern alternative to the traditional tuberculin skin test.
Who should get this test?
Certain people should be tested for TB infection because they are at higher risk for being infected with TB bacteria, including:
- People who have spent time with someone who has TB disease.
- People from a country where TB disease is common (most countries in Latin America, the Caribbean, Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, and Russia).
- People who live or work in high-risk settings (for example: correctional facilities, long-term care facilities or nursing homes, and homeless shelters).
- Health-care workers who care for patients at increased risk for TB disease.
- Infants, children and adolescents exposed to adults who are at increased risk for latent tuberculosis infection or TB disease.
When will I receive my results?
Once completed, you will receive your results within 3-5 business days in your LabFinder portal.
How do I prepare? Do I need to fast?
No preparation or fasting required. Just bring your LabFinder Order and Insurance Card to your appointment.