What is Stool Culture
A Stool Culture is a test done on a stool sample which may be used to evaluate the cause for diarrhea.
Who should get this test?
This test may be ordered to those patient who also have diarrhea. And this test may done to those patient who wants to:
- Find the cause of symptoms. It can help explain symptoms such as severe or bloody diarrhea or an increased amount of gas.
- Help find the cause of nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, bloating, belly pain and cramping, and fever.
- Find and identify certain types of organisms that are causing infections or diseases. These include food poisoning, inflammation of the large intestine (colitis), cholera , and typhoid.
- Identify a person carries bacteria that can spread infection to others. This person is called a carrier. A person who is a carrier and who handles food is likely to infect others.
- Find out if treatment for an infection has worked as it should.
When will I receive my results?
Once completed, you will receive your results within 3-5 business days in your LabFinder portal.
How do I prepare? Do I need to fast?
No preparation or fasting required. Just bring your LabFinder Order and Insurance Card to your appointment.