What is Stool Culture
A Stool Culture is a test done on a stool sample which may be used to evaluate the cause for diarrhea.
Who should get a Stool Culture test?
This test may be ordered to those patient who also have diarrhea. And this test may done to those patient who wants to:
- Find the cause of symptoms. It can help explain symptoms such as severe or bloody diarrhea or an increased amount of gas.
- Help find the cause of nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, bloating, belly pain and cramping, and fever.
- Find and identify certain types of organisms that are causing infections or diseases. These include food poisoning, inflammation of the large intestine (colitis), cholera , and typhoid.
- Identify a person carries bacteria that can spread infection to others. This person is called a carrier. A person who is a carrier and who handles food is likely to infect others.
- Find out if treatment for an infection has worked as it should.
When will I receive my results?
Once completed, you will receive your results within 3-5 business days in your LabFinder portal.
How do I prepare? Do I need to fast?
No preparation or fasting required. Just bring your LabFinder Order and Insurance Card to your appointment.
How it Works
- Select your test & location
- Visit your appointment
- Access your results