What is a Carotid Duplex Ultrasound?
Carotid Duplex Ultrasound is a painless radiology exam used to help diagnose pain and evaluate the carotid area in a non-invasive manner. This exam can be used to check for abnormalities such as cysts or tumors.
Who should get a Carotid Ultrasound?
Ultrasound of Carotid Duplex is usually ordered by doctors if you have these medical conditions that increase the risk of stroke:
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Family history of stroke or heart disease
- Recent transient ischemic attack (TIA) or stroke
- Abnormal sound in carotid arteries (bruit), detected by your doctor using a stethoscope
- Coronary artery disease
Is there radiation involved?
No. Unlike X-ray imaging, there is no ionizing radiation exposure associated with ultrasound imaging.
When will I receive my results?
Once completed, you will receive your results within 3-5 business days in your LabFinder portal.
How do I prepare? Do I need to fast?
Please refer to the simple preparation guidelines or consult with your doctor or radiology center where you are being treated. Do not forget to bring your LabFinder Order and Insurance Card to your appointment.
- Book and manage your personal health records
- Feel organized — keep your results in one place
- Save money — avoid surprise medical bills
How it Works
- Select your test & location
- Visit your appointment
- Access and share your test results any time