What is a Gastric Emptying Study
A Gastric Emptying Scan is also known as a Gastric Emptying Study or test is a type of Nuclear Medicine. This procedure helps to evaluate how quickly food leaves the stomach and what causes emptying of the stomach.
Who should get a Gastric Emptying Study?
Your doctor may order a Gastric Emptying Test if you have these indications:
- Abdominal Pain.
- Weakness, or light-headedness after eating.
- Sudden weight loss.
- Blood sugar level changed.
- Serious dehydration.
- Esophagitis, or inflammation of the esophagus.
- Malnutrition from not absorbing nutrients.
Is there radiation involved?
Yes. Nuclear Medicine is an imaging test which involves a small amount of radiation to show pictures of the organs, tissues, and bones of the body.
When will I receive my results?
Once completed, you will receive your results within 3-5 business days in your LabFinder portal.
How do I prepare? Do I need to fast?
Please refer to the simple preparation guidelines or consult with your doctor or radiology center where you are being treated. Do not forget to bring your LabFinder Order and Insurance Card to your appointment.
- Book and manage your personal health records
- Feel organized — keep your results in one place
- Save money — avoid surprise medical bills
How it Works
- Select your test & location
- Visit your appointment
- Access and share your test results any time