What is a Thyroid Ultrasound?
Thyroid Ultrasound is a painless radiology exam that is performed to help diagnose the cause of pain and evaluate the thyroid gland in a non-invasive manner. The thyroid is a gland that regulates metabolism. It is located in the neck. A thyroid ultrasound may be used to check thyroid size or to detect possible growths such as cysts and tumors.
Who should get a Thyroid Ultrasound?
Ultrasound of Thyroid is usually ordered by doctors if you have these indications:
- Palpable mass
- Thyroid nodules
- Hyperthyroidism (e.g Graves Disease)
- Hypothyroidism (e.g. Hashimoto’s Disease)
- Lumps, masses, and tumors in the neck arising from thyroid
- Hormonal imbalances or autoimmune conditions
Is there radiation involved in Thyroid Ultrasound?
When will I receive my results?
Once completed, you will receive your results within 3-5 business days in your LabFinder portal.
How do I prepare for a Thyroid Ultrasound? Do I need to fast?
Please refer to the simple preparation guidelines or consult with your doctor or radiology center where you are being treated. Do not forget to bring your LabFinder Order and Insurance Card to your appointment.
- Book and manage your personal health records
- Feel organized — keep your results in one place
- Save money — avoid surprise medical bills
How it Works
- Select your test & location
- Visit your appointment
- Access and share your test results any time