What is Barium Swallow Fluoroscopy?
A barium swallow is a special type of X-ray test that helps your doctor take a close look at the back of your mouth and throat, known as the pharynx, and the tube that extends from the back of the tongue down to the stomach, known as the esophagus.
Who should get a Barium Swallow Fluoroscopy?
Your doctor may order a barium swallow to help diagnose a possible structural or functional problem with your upper GI tract. Some common problems that a barium swallow may help diagnose include:
- hiatal hernia
- muscle disorders that could lead to difficulty swallowing or spasms
- gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- both cancerous and noncancerous tumors
Is there radiation involved in Fluoroscopy?
Yes. Same as X-Ray, Fluoroscopy is an imaging test which involves a small amount of radiation to show pictures of the organs, tissues, and bones of the body.
How do I prepare?
Please refer to the simple preparation guidelines or consult with your doctor or radiology center where you are being treated. Do not forget to bring your LabFinder Order and Insurance Card to your appointment.
When will I receive my results?
Once completed, you will receive your results within 3-5 business days in your LabFinder portal.
- Book and manage your personal health records
- Feel organized — keep your results in one place
- Save money — avoid surprise medical bills
How it Works
- Select your test & location
- Visit your appointment
- Access and share your test results any time